LOCATION: Pembina, ND or Columbia, SC or Remote Home Office (US Broker License Required) with travel expectation to Pembina and Columbia
HOURS OF WORK: Work hours will vary based on needs of associates and customers. One Stat Holiday will be required to be worked annually. On-Call to support moment of truth needs of associates, carriers and customers. Participation in the after hours on-call rotation is required (generally 4 days of coverage is assigned every 20 weeks).
GHY USA, Inc. has an exciting opportunity for the role of a US Operations Manager in the US Operations. GHY International is an international customs and trade services group designed to assist importers and exporters to buy and sell in world markets. Founded in 1901, GHY is one of Canada’s oldest brokerage companies and has international offices in Toronto, Emerson, Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver, North Dakota, North Carolina, and South Carolina. GHY’s structure is designed around providing sustainable corporate growth, strong client service, and opportunity to GHY associates. One of the most predominant aspects of our company culture is CARE. It is ingrained in all we do; relationships matter to us.
This position will be responsible to oversee the Production Team, Client Care Team, Innovation Specialist, US Trainer, and the Administrative Specialist with the overall goal of achieving cohesiveness across all teams, client intimacy, balanced workload, and opportunity for associates to grow. This position will report to the Vice-President, US Operations.
Strong hands-on leadership to the organization, driving a culture of excitement and accountability, intensely focused on timely release, compliance and client intimacy
- Working closely with the leaders of the Teams in coaching, mentoring and planning
- Provide regular reports on progress and performance of the Teams
- Compile KPI’s from the Teams for analysis to ensure goals are being met
- Promote the continual development of the Teams’ skills
- Hold the Teams accountable for results
- Work with the Teams on Client problem resolution
- Participate in Production huddles AM/PM once weekly
- Participate in Client Care weekly meeting
- Participate in monthly Collective Operations meeting
- Participate in monthly Client Services meeting
Work with US Trainer to identify and plan required training
- Work with US Innovation Specialist to identify and plan integration solutions
- Oversight of Operational Administrative tasks, including but not limited to: unresolved entries, cancellations, voluntary entries, manifest discrepancies, daily statement & reports
- Working with HR Manager in recruitment efforts
- Coordinating onboarding and orientation for new associates
- Conduct periodic reviews of Client metrics to ensure balanced workload among Teams
- Confer with Vice-President to review goals, resolve problems and determine strategic direction
- Communication with CBP, Customers, Freight Forwarders and Other Agents, as needed
- After hours availability, as needed, for final judgement calls
- Executing accurate customs entries in brokerage system for all modes of transportation, as needed
- Providing tariff and regulatory assistance to the Teams, as needed
- Assisting leaders with Scheduling and Vacation Approvals
- Participating in associate performance action planning and goal setting
- Penalty and Demurrage/Storage analysis approvals
- Demurrage/Storage analysis approvals
- Participating in Client Onboarding Experience
- Travel to GHY offices, as needed, for team coaching, mentoring, training, meetings and planning
- Coordinating office/facility services, equipment and repairs, as required
- Other duties as required
- Ability to represent GHY and be the voice of the company while interacting with clients & associates in a professional collaborative manner
- Highly organized and process oriented with the ability to prioritize in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- Ability to self-motivate and work independently within tight deadlines
- Strong teambuilding skills and ability to motivate associates
- Superior oral and written communication
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional client service skills
- Adaptable to change
- Tolerance to adversity and the capability to handle stress in a positive manner
- Strong administrative, management and personnel recruitment skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of current industry standards and procedures
- Knowledge of US Customs rules and regulations
- Proficiency of tariff classification, GRI’s, GN’s and explanatory notes
- Recognize PGA’s and impacts of PGAs at time of release
- In depth knowledge of Smartborder, ITS and ITMR4 (Customs Brokerage Software)
- Proficient with Microsoft software, specifically strong Excel skills
- 15+ years of customs brokerage or industry related experience
Post-Secondary education with a strong business specialization, or equivalent work experience
- US Certified Customs Specialist (CCS) required
- US Licensed Customs Broker (LCB) required
- Wage dependent upon experience.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
What’s it like working for Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies?
Work Life Balance – We CARE (Clients are our focus, Associates matter, Relentlessly serving traders, Excellence and innovation in all we do). Giveback committee, Social committee, Cultural Ambassadors.
Compensation – We pay fairly: scheduled salary assessments, bonus program.
Excellent Benefits – Subsidized health, dental, short and long term disability, life & AD&D.
Employee Retention – Employee development, internal university, external training, leadership development, internal applicant preference, career planning & advancement.