The CARM initiative will be rolled out across 3 releases. Here’s what to expect, when to expect it, and what you need to do.
LIVE as of JANUARY 2021
Upgrading Account Receivable Ledger (ARL) Technology
The first release of CARM was launched in January 2021. It set the foundation for the upcoming releases and had no impact on trade chain partners or current import processes. New technology was setup and the existing ARL system was migrated to a new, more advanced system.
- Sign up to access your importer Statement of Account (SOA)
Scheduled for May 25, 2021
Introducing CARM core functionalities
Starting May 25, 2021, importers will be required to sign up and register their businesses on the CARM Client Portal. You can do so through a Sign-In partner or your GC Key (using your Business Number (BN) and RM Account Number).
- Register your business on the CARM Client Portal
- Delegate access to your customs broker(s)
- Register your BAM on the CARM Client Portal
- View and manage your account data
- Delegate access to internal/external stakeholders
- View statements of account
- Request advance rulings
- Make electronic payments
- Use GHY Classify to classify your goods
- Access self-service tools 24/7
Scheduled for May 2022
Introducing CARM full functionalities
The final release of CARM is scheduled for May 2022. Once it goes into effect, importers and trade partners will have access to the portal’s full functionalities and be able to complete and manage their import processes online.
- Obtain your own security bond (Surety or Cash Bond) to qualify for the Release Prior to Payment (RPP) program
- Submit Commercial Accounting Declarations (CADs)
- Make corrections and adjustments online
- Customize your electronic notifications options
- Have more time to make interest-free corrections
- Experience harmonized billing cycles that align payment due dates
- Receive Daily Notices (DNs)
As of Release 2 of CARM, new billing cycles and payment due dates will be introduced. Here’s what it looks like.
COMMERCIAL ACCOUNTING DECLARATION (CAD)
Importers or their delegated customs broker/trade consultant will be required to submit their Commercial Accounting Declaration by the 24th day of month 2.
STATEMENT OF ACCOUNT (SOA)
The Statement of Account (SOA) will be generated on the portal on the 25th day of month 2. This SOA accounts for all commodities crossing the border in month 1.
PAYMENT DUE DATE
Payments will be due 10 business days (holidays included) after the 17th of the calendar month. Please note that the 18th day of month 2 is considered Day 1.
The Correction Period allows for interest-free corrections to your Commercial Accounting Declaration (CAD). It starts on CAD submission day and ends on payment due date.
The Adjustment Period starts on payment due date. Please note that adjustments to your CAD at this stage (after the Correction Period) may be subject to CBSA review.
Get in Touch
We’re here to guide you every step of the way. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to us.
Call Us: 1-833-GHY-CARM