Importing Vehicles

When the Canadian dollar rises and the increasing popularity of online auction sites such as eBay, more Canadians than ever before are purchasing vehicles from the United States.

New Requirements for Importing a Self-Propelled Vehicle from the USA to Canada

Effective Oct 2nd, 2014 most cars, trucks, tractors, buses, construction or agricultural equipment, etc. will require 72 hour advance electronic notice filed with United States CBP using AES

To file on your behalf GHY requires a Power of Attorney (issued once) and a fully completed application form (for each vehicle imported)

Costs are $65.00 CAD/vehicle for regular importers and $75.00 CAD/vehicle for infrequent importers.

Questions on the process should be directed to your account manager

Individuals have two choices in importing a vehicle for “personal use”:

  1. Report to CBSA where a B15 Casual Good Declaration will be required (full payment of applicable duties and taxes must be made at time of release), or
  2. Have your broker submit a commercial transaction (a Business Number is required and must be available for a broker to process a transaction)

Note: To obtain a Business Number you can call 1-800-959-5525.


Canadian Requirements

  • Vehicle must be permitted into Canada (See list here - PDF file or HTML.)
  • Vehicle documentation must be submitted to US Customs 72 business hours before it arrives.
  • Reporting regulations change depending on where the goods enter Canada. Be sure to check out the area-specific regulations wherever you plan to cross.

When crossing the border, the vehicle must be presented to US Customs during regular business hours Monday to Friday.

Canada Customs Charges

  • Vehicles with air conditioning are subject to excise tax of $100.00.
  • Sales Tax: 
    • GST (5%) - Payable at the border
    • PST (7%) - For personal use vehicles (payable at time of licensing & insurance) 
  • Excise Tax: calculated based on a weighted average fuel consumption in accordance with information published by the Government of Canada under the EnerGuide mark.

    The following rates will apply: 
    At least 13 but less than 14 litres per 100 kilometres: $1,000 
    At least 14 but less than 15 litres per 100 kilometres: $2,000   
    At least 15 but less than 16 litres per 100 kilometres: $3,000 

    16 or more litres per 100 kilometres: $4,000

    Note: Average fuel consumption rating based on combined 55 per cent city / 45 per cent highway. Figures can be obtained from the Fuel Consumption Guides available at Natural Resources Canada.

  • Duty: Free if manufactured in USA & applicable NAFTA supplied otherwise 6.1% of vehicle value. 
  • $209 RIV Fees apply at time of this posting (up to date info available from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles).

Canadian Document Requirements

  • Bill of Sale
  • Original Certificate of Title
  • Last copy of registration
  • NAFTA Certificate of Origin (if applicable)

    Note: To view origin of vehicle visit MSN Autos. Select - “New or Used Cars” >> Select - “Make and Model” then year >> Select “Features and Specs”. At the bottom of the “Engine and Performance Grid” it specifies “Location.” If the location is Canada, USA or MX the vehicle may be eligible for NAFTA. 
  • Letter of Gifting with Letter of Appraisal (if applicable)
  • Salvage Certificate (if applicable)
  • Form 1 - Submitted to RIV
  • Form 2 - Received in mail and required for inspection purposes

Requirements After Importation

  • Form 2 is mailed to you after clearance by RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles).
  • Both Form 1, Form 2, and paid Customs entry and required to register and insure the vehicle in Canada.

Keep in mind that certain vehicles may not be allowed in Canada. It is your obligation to ensure your vehicle is permitted entry.  

Useful Websites

U.S. Requirements

  • Certain vehicles may require assistance of Registered Importer.
  • Non-Conforming engines must be put into bond through an Independent Commercial Importer.
  • All imported vehicles must be checked for outstanding recalls.

U.S. Customs Charges

  • Duty-Free if manufactured in Canada or Mexico with appropriate NAFTA Certificate or Origin. Otherwise, duty will apply.

U.S. Document Requirements

Must be provided to U.S. Customs 72 hrs. to crossing 

  • Commercial Invoice or Bill or Sale
  • Registration papers
  • EPA form 3520-1
  • DOT form HS-7
  • NAFTA Certificate of Origin (if applicable)
  • Letter of Recall and Conformity from Manufacturer (If applicable)