IMPORTANT REMINDER OF 2020 FOOD FACILITY REGISTRATION BIENNIAL RENEWAL
The Food Safety Modernization Act requires that all food facilities that manufacture, process, pack, or store food for human or animal consumption in the United States, update their facility registration biennially during the period October 1 through December 31 of every even-numbered year.
If your company has exported food products to the U.S. that are subject to regulation by the Food and Drug Administration, you should be aware of the following:
- If you registered your food facility before October 1, 2020, you are still required to renew your registration before December 31, 2020, and provide your customs broker with any updated information, if applicable.
- If you updated your food facility registration before October 1, 2020, you still must renew your registration before December 31, 2020 and provide your customs broker with any updated information, if applicable.
- As a reminder, if you are the new owner of a registered food facility, the previous owner is required to cancel the food facility’s registration within 60 calendar days of the change of ownership and you must re-register the facility reflecting the new ownership (see 21 CFR 1.234 and 1.235).
- If you have not made any changes to your registration details since 2018, you must still renew your facility registration before December 31, 2020.
- Food facility registration requires a DUNs number. If you need to create or find your DUNs number, you can find step by step instructions by clicking here.
The owner, operator, or agent in charge of the facility, or a person authorized by one of them, can submit a facility’s registration renewal electronically here. In order to do this, however, you must first create or have an existing FURLS account to access the module and submit your renewal.
Note: All non-U.S. companies registering food facilities require a “U.S. Agent.” If you require further information on obtaining a U.S. agent, please contact Linda Zyvoloski.
Don’t Delay – Renew ASAP
Although registration holders technically have until the end of the year, given the risk of slower processing due to factors related to the COVID-19 pandemic, we strongly encourage you to complete this renewal process on or before December 15, 2020.
Failure to renew your registration within the allowed timeframe will result in the cancellation of your Food Facility Registration number, meaning that your shipment(s) to the U.S. may be refused entry.
Note for GHY USA Clients: Should you have a new facility registration number, please e-mail it at the earliest opportunity to Kim Weber, FDA Trade Specialist.
Need More Information?
Related: FDA Food Facility Registration Renewal Period Now Open (Oct. 1, 2020)
For additional information, please refer to the latest version of the FDA’s Guidance for Industry.
Renewals are to be completed online via the FDA Industry Systems (FIS) here.
For questions or assistance in renewing your FDA Facility Registration, please contact the FDA Industry Systems Help Desk toll-free in the USA 1-800-216-7331, or 240-247-8804 if you require additional assistance or have technical difficulties with the renewal website.