Trade Updates

We’re more than just brokers – we’re knowledge leaders. Stay compliant with Customs, and save on your bottom line with recent updates here.

Reminder: FDA Food Facility Registrations

Posted October 30, 2014

Under the Food Safety Modernization Act (FMSA), all domestic and foreign facilities that manufacture, pack or store food, food ingredients, pet foods or dietary supplements are required to renew their registration with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) before the end of 2014 and to re-register every two years thereafter.
Tin Lid
Food importers must provide the Food Facility Registration Number of any foreign manufacturer, processor, packer or holder of imported foods or beverages to the FDA and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) prior to the arrival of the imported food or beverage to the United States, through the FDA Prior Notice filing. Any imported foods or imported beverages not in compliance with FDA’s food facility registration requirements may be refused by FDA or CBP.

Foreign food facilities must also designate a U.S. Agent when registering their food facility with the FDA. The U.S. Agent is a person or entity located within, or that maintains an office, in the United States. The U.S. Agent plays the role of the domestic representative for the foreign facility through which all communication with the FDA takes place.

The FDA provides the following guidance documents to assist companies with the registration process, including information on biennial registration renewal:

Additional information on the Registration of Food Facilities can be found here.