The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative has issued a new product exclusion for motorboats from the administration’s Section 301 tariffs on List 3 imports from China ($200 billion trade action, currently dutiable at 7.5%), according to a pre-publication copy of an upcoming Federal Register notice.
More specifically, the exclusion covers motorboats with displacement hulls of reinforced fiberglass and wood, each motorboat measuring not less than 14.47 m (47.5 ft) and not more than 36.57 m (120 ft) in length and weighing not less than 28 t and not more than 363 t, powered by inboard engines, other than inboard/outdrive (described in statistical reporting number 8903.92.0065).
Modifications to Existing Exclusions
Additionally, in the same notice, the USTR has modified several previously granted List 3 exclusions as follows:
- Ratcheting chain, rope or cable [newly added] hoists, other than skip hoists or hoists of a kind used for raising motor vehicles, such hoists not powered by an electric motor (8425.19.0000)
- Parking stops of recycled rubber, each measuring not more than 185 cm in length [previously 123 cm], not more than 15.5 cm in width and not more than 10.5 cm in height, weighing not more than 16 kg (4016.99.6050)
- Retail computing scales, digital with tactile keypad or VGA display, with a maximum weighing capacity of not less than 10 kg but not more than 15.5 kg, measuring not less than 15 cm in width by 20 cm [previously 21 cm] depth but not more than 41 cm in width by 32 cm [previously 25 cm] depth (8423.81.0030)
- Rail air brake hose couplings (“gladhands”) [deleted “each measuring at least 610.1 cm by 10.1 cm by 10.1 cm but not more than 16.6 cm by 7.7 cm by 10.2 cm and weighing at least 0.4 kg but not more than 1.4 kg, conforming to Association of American Railroads specifications S-491, M-601, and RP-5595] (7325.99.1000).
- Mountings and brackets for railway air brake systems, each measuring at least 15.2 cm by 7.6 cm by 114 cm and not more than 42 cm by 34 cm by 115 cm and weighing at least 4 kg and not more than 22 kg [previously “not more than 25.4 cm by 15.3 cm by 17.8 cm and weighing at least 9 kg and not more than 20.5 kg”], conforming to AAR specifications S-475, M-201, and S-401 (8302.49.6045)
These exclusions are retroactive to September 24, 2018, and extend until August 7, 2020, regarding any product that satisfies the description in the Federal Register annex, irrespective of whether the company using the exclusion filed the request.
Note: Each exclusion is governed by the scope of the HTS heading and the product description appearing in the annex of the exclusion notice; it is not governed by the product description set out in any particular exclusion request.
Need More Information
Should you have any questions about this or other changes to the USTR’s Section 301 tariffs, or require assistance obtaining duty refunds on goods previously imported since September 24, 2018, don’t hesitate to contact one of our helpful trade experts.