After seeking comments on the issue, the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative has decided to extend for a period of six months the exclusions from the Section 301 tariffs that were granted in May 2019 for certain Chinese imports.
Scope of Coverage
The extensions cover more than a dozen Harmonized Tariff Schedule subheadings and product descriptions, as follows:
- 8481.10.0090 – Taps, cocks, valves and similar appliances, for pipes, boiler shells, tanks, vats or the like, including pressure-reducing valves and thermostatically controlled valves; parts thereof: Pressure-reducing valves: Other
- 8483.50.9040 – Transmission shafts (including camshafts and crankshafts) and cranks; bearing housings, housed bearings and plain shaft bearings; gears and gearing; ball or roller screws; gear boxes and other speed changers, including torque converters; flywheels and pulleys, including pulley blocks; clutches and shaft couplings (including universal joints); parts thereof: Flywheels and pulleys, including pulley blocks: Other: Grooved pulleys
- Filtering or purifying machinery or apparatus of a kind used for waste water treatment (8421.21.0000)
- Air purification equipment, electrically powered, weighing less than 36 kg (8421.39.8015)
- Armatures designed for use in hydraulic solenoid valves (8481.90.9040)
- C-poles, of steel, designed for use in hydraulic solenoid control valves (8481.90.9040)
- Metering spools, of aluminum, designed for use in hydraulic solenoid control valves (8481.90.9040)
- Metering spools, of steel, designed for use in hydraulic solenoid control valves (8481.90.9040)
- Poles, of steel, designed for use in hydraulic solenoid control valves (8481.90.9040)
- Push pins, of steel, designed for use in hydraulic solenoid control valves (8481.90.9040)
- Retainers, of steel, designed for use in hydraulic solenoid control valves (8481.90.9040)
- Stereoscopic microscopes, not provided with a means for photographing the image, valued not over $500 per unit (9011.10.8000)
- Adapter rings, tubes and extension sleeves, stands and arm assemblies, stages and gliding tables, eyeguards and focusing racks, all the foregoing designed for use with compound optical microscopes (9011.90.0000)
The goods are currently subject to the Section 301 25% tariff covering List 1 Chinese products ($34 billion trade action), and their exclusions to the tariff were set to expire on May 14, 2020.
With these extensions, such products entering the United States for consumption, or withdrawn from warehouse for consumption, on or after July 6, 2018 and before December 31, 2020, will continue to be excluded from the additional duty.
Need More Information
Should you have any questions about this or other changes to the USTR’s Section 301 tariffs don’t hesitate to contact one of our helpful trade experts.