Earlier this week, the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) announced it would be extending numerous product exclusions from the Section 301 tariffs for imports from China appearing on List 4A ($300 billion trade action against China) and subject to 15% additional duty.
Noting that USTR has so far granted more than 6,800 exclusion requests and considering the cumulative effect this is having on the effectiveness of the Section 301 trade action, the extensions granted are for less than the allowed 12 months – through December 31, 2020
The exemptions include 14 10-digit Harmonized Tariff Schedule subheadings and 73 specially prepared product descriptions, which cover various product exclusions issued in eight prior USTR notices for List/Tranche 4A.
These product exclusion extensions will apply until December 31, 2020.
Notes: These exclusions apply to any product that satisfies the description in the annex of the Federal Register notice, regardless of whether the company using the exclusion filed the request.
Each exclusion is governed by the scope of the HTS heading and the product description appearing in the annex of the exclusion notice; it is not governed by the description set out in any particular exclusion request.
Scope of Coverage
The fourteen excluded HTS subheadings are:
- 0505.10.0050 – Feathers Of A Kind Used For Stuffing
- 0505.10.0055 – Down of Ducks or Geese, not further worked than cleaned, disinfected or treated for preservation
- 3401.19.0000 – Other Soap and Organic Surface-Active Products and Preparations, in various forms
- 3926.90.9910 – Plastic Laboratory Ware
- 4015.19.0510 – Medical Gloves, Mittens and Mitts (except Surgical) of Natural Rubber, o/t Hard Rubber
- 4015.19.0550 – Medical Gloves, of Vulcanized Rubber o/t Hard Rubber, Other
- 4818.90.0000 – Bed Sheets and Similar Household or Hospital Articles of Paper Pulp, Paper, Cellulose Wadding or Webs of Cellulose Fibers, Others (prior to July 1, 2020; 4818.90.0020 or 4818.90.0080 effective July 1, 2020)
- 5210.11.4040 – Plain Weave Cotton Sheeting, containing < 85% by weight of cotton, mixed mainly or solely with man-made fibers, weighing not more than 200 g/m²
- 5210.11.6020 – Plain Weave, Poplin or Broadcloth Cotton Fabrics, containing < 85% by weight of cotton, mixed mainly or solely with man-made fibers, weighing not more than 200 g/m²
- 5504.10.0000: –Viscose Rayon Fibers, not carded, combed or otherwise processed for spinning
- 6210.10.5000 – Nonwoven Disposable Apparel (made of Fabrics of Heading 5602/5603) designed for use in hospitals, clinics, laboratories or contaminated areas
- 6307.90.6090 – Surgical Drapes of Fabric formed on a base of paper or covered or lined with paper
- 6307.90.6800 – Disposable Surgical Drapes of Spunlaced or Bonded Man-Made Fiber Fabric
- 6506.10.6030 – Motorcycle Helmets
The 73 specially prepared product descriptions enumerated in the Federal Register notice include certain of the following: cynomolgus macaques; feathers used for stuffing; sodium alginate resins; shower heads of plastic; surgical molded plastic bowls; plastic coverings for wound sites; sterile pads, covers and plastics for medical purposes; wallpaper; women’s, women’s and children’s bath robes; various baby fabrics and sleep items; blankets, dust covers; certain cold packs and hot packs; disposable shoe covers; face masks and particulate facepiece respirators; medical masks; certain single-use medical items; sewing machines; gas-powered augers; tracking devices and other wireless communication devices; watch cases and dials; acoustic upright and grand pianos; parts of child safety seats; arrowheads of metal; brushes and hair bristles; painting; postage stamps; and collectors’ pieces of mineralogical interest.
Note: Other List 4A product exclusions issued since October 2019 that are not included in this current list of extensions expired on September 1, 2020.
Need More Information?
GHY’s Section 301 – Search Tool can help you easily navigate through the complex array of Section 301 tariffs and product exclusions. Search by HTSUS number (i.e. 0304.61.0000; decimals are required, or the first 4 digits i.e. 0304), or search by product description (with a word/few words).
If you have any questions about Section 301 product exclusions or require assistance obtaining extensions or refunds, don’t hesitate to contact one of our helpful trade experts today.