The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative has granted a limited number of product exclusion extensions from the Section 301 tariff for four imported Chinese products appearing on the first list/tranche of goods valued at $34 billion, currently subject to an additional duty of 25%.
In July 2019, the USTR granted 110 specially-prepared exclusion requests with an expiration date of July 9, 2020.
In April 2020, interested parties were invited to comment on whether to extend by up to 12 months any of these exclusions that had been granted.
Scope of Coverage
Following the commentary and review process, the 12 products which have been granted an extension are as follows:
- Direct-Acting and Spring-Return Pneumatic Actuators (described in statistical reporting number 8412.39.0080)
- Pump Casings & Bodies (8413.91.9080 Effective Jan. 1, 2019: 8413.91.9095 or 8413.91.9096)
- Pump Covers & Parts (8413.91.9080 Effective Jan. 1, 2018: 8413.91.9095 Effective Jan. 1, 2020: 8413.91.9085 or 8413.91.9096)
- Plastic Pump Parts valued not more than $3 (8413.91.9080 Effective Jan. 1, 2018: 8413.91.9095 Effective Jan. 1, 2020: 8413.91.9085 or 8413.91.9096)
- Compressors other than screw type, used in A/C equipment in motor vehicles, each valued over $88 but not more than $92/ea (8414.30.8030)
- Structural Components for Industrial Furnaces (8514.90.8000)
- Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors valued not more than $3.20 (8532.22.0085)
- Rotary Switches rated at over 5 A, measuring not more than 5.5 cm x 5.0 cm x 3.4 cm, each w/ 2 -8 spade terminals & an actuator shaft w/ D-shaped cross-section (8536.50.9025)
- Rotary switches, single-pole, single-throw (SPST), rated at over 5 A, each measuring not more than 14.6 cm x 8.9 cm x 14.1 cm (8536.50.9025)
- Zinc Anodes for Use with Machines and Apparatus for Electroplating, Electrolysis or electrophoresis (8543.30.9080)
- Weather Station Sets consisting of a monitoring display & outdoor weather sensors, having a transmission range of not over 140 m & valued not more than $50/ea. (9015.80.8080)
- Multi-Leaf Collimators of Radiotherapy Systems based on the use of X-ray (9022.90.6000)
All other product exclusions that were granted in July 2019 will expire as of July 9, 2020.
These product exclusion extensions will apply from July 9, 2019, through December 31, 2020, and apply to any product that satisfies the description in the Federal Register annex, regardless of whether the company using the exclusion filed the request. Refunds of duties paid may be made dating back to July 6, 2018.
Note: Each exclusion is governed by the scope of the HTS heading and the product description appearing in the annex of the Federal Register notice; it is not governed by the product description set out in any particular exclusion request.
Need More Information?
We now have a solution for you with our new ➡️ Section 301 – Search Tool ⬅️
Should you need additional assistance understanding whether any of your goods imported from China are covered by the hundreds of product exclusions and exemptions that have been made over the last year by the U.S. Trade Representative, don’t hesitate to contact us today! We’re always here to help you.