China will take counter-measures of the “same proportion” and scale if the United States imposes further tariffs on Chinese goods, China’s ambassador to Washington said, amid growing fears of an impending trade war.
Cui Tiankai made the comments ahead of what is expected to be the announcement this week of US tariffs on $50 billion to $60 billion in Chinese imports following an investigation under Section 301 of the 1974 US Trade Act.
"If they do, we will certainly take countermeasures of the same proportion, and the same scale, same intensity,” Cui said in an interview posted on the website of China Global Television Network (CGTN) and broadcast on state television on Tuesday. Click here to read more.
- Global Stocks Fall on U.S.-China Trade Tensions, Tech Scrutiny (Associated Press)
- Trump to Unveil China Tariff List This Week, Targeting Tech Goods (Channel News Asia)
- China Warns U.S. Of Further Retaliation Over Tariffs (Newsweek)
- Shock Waves of Trump China Tariffs Hit Elite U.S. Outdoor Industries (Xinhua)
- America’s New Digital Cold War With China (Financial Times)