(Michael Nienaber – Reuters)
Europe will implement counter-measures against U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum just like Canada, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Sunday, voicing regret about President Donald Trump’s abrupt decision to withdraw support for a G7 communique.
Trump’s announcement on Twitter, after leaving the Group of Seven summit in Canada early, that he was backing out of the joint communique torpedoed what appeared to be a fragile consensus on a trade dispute between Washington and its top allies.
“The withdrawal, so to speak, via tweet is of course ... sobering and a bit depressing,” Merkel said in an ARD television interview following the G7 summit. Click here to read more.
- German TV Interview With Chancellor Angela Merkel
- France Blasts ‘Incoherent’ Trump After G7 Fiasco (Politico)
- Juncker Promises Trump 'Facts' as Cold Trade War Threatens to Heat Up (Deutsche Welle)
- U.S. Allies Are Helping Trump Undermine Global Trade (The Atlantic)
- Trump Insists Mood During Viral Photo With Merkel Was ‘Very Friendly’ (CTV News)