U.S. President Donald Trump stalked out of a meeting with congressional leaders Wednesday as efforts to end the almost 19-day partial government shutdown fell into deeper disarray over his demand for billions of dollars to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border.
Hundreds of thousands of federal workers won’t receive paycheques on Friday.
The president is to visit the border in person on Thursday, but he has expressed his own doubts that his appearance and remarks will change any minds.
The brief session in the White House Situation Room ended almost as soon as it began and Trump immediately tweeted that the meeting was a “total waste of time.” Click here to read more.
- Trump Walks Out of Meeting With Dem Leaders on Ending Shutdown (Reuters)
- Pence on Shutdown Fight: ‘No Wall, No Deal’ (The Hill)
- Report: Prototype for Trump’s Steel Slat Border Wall Can Be Cut With Saw (Slate)
- Trump’s Advisers Push for Emergency Declaration, Assuming It’ll be Stopped in Court (Vox)
- As Trump Visits Border, Texas Landowners Prepare Wall Fight (Associated Press)
- Air-Traffic Controllers Working Unpaid During the Government Shutdown Are Posting Their $0 Pay Stubs on Twitter (Business Insider)
- Furloughed Federal Workers Protest at White House on Shutdown Day 20 (Reuters)
- Trump Says He Knows a Border Wall Will Work Because Wheels Work, and the Secret Service Uses ‘Really Expensive’ Cars With Wheels (Business Insider)