Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT)
The Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT) program was designed to bring Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and members of the trade closer in order to strengthen security and reduce gaps throughout the supply chain. C-TPAT members agree to implement certain security procedures meant to safeguard from terrorist infiltration and other illegal activates that threaten the security and the economic health of the United States.
Because the objective of the C-TPAT program is to tighten security from the point of origin all the way through to the destination, there are various entities that can participate. Air, ocean and rail carriers, consolidators, cross-border highway carriers, marine port authorities, terminal operators, third party logistics providers, customs brokers, importers and US exporters are all eligible to participate as partners in the program.
By implementing procedures and processes necessary to participate in the C-TPAT program, participants can realize the below benefits. These benefits have the potential to increase freight processing speed and reduce fees.
- Reduced number of CBP examinations. If a shipment is selected for exam, C-TPAT member shipments move ahead of non-C-TPAT member shipments in the inspection lines
- Access to the Free and Secure Trade (FAST Lanes) at the land borders
- Shorter wait times at the border
- Priority consideration at the Centers of Excellence and Expertise (CEEs)
- Possible exemption from Stratified Exams
- Assignment of a Supply Chain Security Specialist to the company
- Access to the C-TPAT web-based portal system and a library of training materials
- Possibility of enjoying additional benefits by being recognized as a trusted trade Partner by foreign Customs administrations that have signed Mutual Recognition with the United States
- Business resumption priority following a natural disaster or terrorist attack
- Importer eligibility to participate in the Importer Self-Assessment Program (ISA)
GHY CAREs about our partners in trade as well as the security of our borders. As a customs broker, GHY participates in the C-TPAT program as a continued commitment of our ongoing focus on compliance and our dedication to fulfilling the needs of our clients.
For more information on the C-TPAT program, contact us! Click below: