Trade Verifications are regularly carried out by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) to ensure businesses are compliant with import rules and regulations. CBSA publishes its verification priorities twice a year – in January and July – to notify importers about customs audits in advance. Importers can use this listing to review their internal trade compliance practices and modify accordingly to ensure compliance.
What is the CBSA Verification Program?
Verification is managed in two ways, by random verifications or verification priorities. Some priorities carry over from one year to the next. The overall goal of these verifications are to ensure compliance with customs requirements and to ensure that the correct amount of duties is calculated.
- Random Verifications – measure compliance rates and revenue lost. Risk assessment for CBSA.
- Verification Priorities – are determined by risk-based, long-term processes. New targets added across the year.
Verification Priorities – July 2021
As an importer, it is crucial to regularly check if your goods are on the verification priorities list. The priorities released in July 2021 for Tariff Classifications, Valuation, and Origin are:
- Spent fowl Harmonized System Numbers: Headings 02.07, 16.01 and 16.02
- LED lamps Harmonized System Number: Heading 85.39
- Furniture for non-domestic purposes Harmonized System Numbers: Headings 94.01 and 94.03
- Batteries Harmonized System Number: Heading 85.06
- Footwear ($30 or more per pair) Harmonized System Number: Heading 64.03
- Articles of apparel and clothing accessories Harmonized System Number: Heading 39.26
- Parts of lamps Harmonized System Number: Heading 94.05
- Pasta Harmonized System Number: Heading 19.02
- Cell phone cases Harmonized System Numbers: Headings 39.26, 42.02 and 85.17
- Pickled vegetables Harmonized System Number: Heading 20.01
- Gloves Harmonized System Number: Headings 39.26 and 42.03
- Safety headgear Harmonized System Number Subheading 6506.10
- Bags Harmonized System Number: Heading 42.02
- Import permit numbers Harmonized System Numbers: Chapters 2 and 4
- Other mountings and fittings, suitable for furniture Harmonized System Number: Heading 83.02
- Air heaters and hot air distributors Harmonized System Number: Heading 73.22
- Flashlights and miners’ safety lamps Harmonized System Number: Heading 85.13
- Stone table and counter tops Harmonized System Number: Heading 94.03
- Disposable and protective gloves Harmonized System Numbers: Subheadings 3926.20 and 4015.19
- Parts of machines and mechanical appliances Harmonized System Number: Heading 84.79
- Other chemical products Harmonized System Number: Heading 38.24
- Apparel Harmonized System Numbers: Chapters 61 and 62
- Footwear Harmonized System Number: Chapter 64
- Bedding and drapery Harmonized System Number: Various goods of Headings 63.01, 63.02 and 63.03
Please refer to the complete list of trade verification priorities on the CBSA website here.
Imported Products on the List? What Should You Do?
CBSA may select your import(s) for an audit if you’re importing commercial products identified on Trade Compliance Verifications list. Best practice is to ensure you’re prepared by carrying out a review or an internal audit to ensure you are compliant with CBSA. In addition to ensuring that your internal records are kept up-to-date in the event that CBSA requests them.
Our Global Trade Services Team can assist your company with a preliminary review, or an internal audit, and our Trade Specialists can provide you with consulting services to advance you trade compliance profile with the CBSA.